Friday, July 17, 2015

To Capture her Heart

An Indian princess held for ransom, a handsome lieutenant her savior, but he’s on the wrong side of the battle. Her family sides with the English, but the man who saved her is Dutch. Can love weather the storms or will it be uprooted before it can even sprout?







I would like everyone here to know that To Capture her Heart is the second book in the Southold Chronicles and if you want to read this one you REALLY need to read the first one, A Place in His Heart. I have been known to start on book two plenty of times, and usually find a way to get through the feeling of I was missing something. You cannot do that with this one.  I am a fan of stories with big families and plenty of characters in it, but this was just too much. The point of view switched from one character to the next, I could barely keep up. Perhaps if I had read the first book it wouldn’t have been so bad, but I sadly don’t believe this would be true.

Heather flowers struggles were very real, and the historical accuracy is very good in this book, and I found it interesting that Rebecca DeMarino based it off her own family members who settles here so many years ago. Unfortunately I think in her attempts to put all that in one book the story was left lacking. It switched between so many point of views between one chapter I would get lost as to what was happening and who I was reading from.

And this was meant to be a story of the struggling love of Heather Flower between two men dear to her heart, but it felt more like a recount of someone’s family tree then a story. We saw more of Mary and Barnabas Horton, the main characters from the book one, then Heather Flower, Dirk Van Buren, or even Ben Horton. It was somewhat saddening.

Plus everything was so face paced, and so many time skips, I could barely tell what time of year it was meant to be. 

Most times I would divulge a bit more into the story, this time there is just too much that anything I told you would become a jumbled mess. It might be that this book is not my cup of tea. It might be great for any other reader, but I personally cannot recommend this book. You’ll just have to try for yourself and see.

Until next time folks I hope you have a blessed day!


I received this book from the publisher an exchange for an honest review, which I have given

No comments:

Post a Comment