Saturday, April 12, 2014

Kim Vogel Swayer's Through the Deep Waters

I'm here to review another amazing book by Kim Vogel Swayer


I normally start out my reviews with a verse to help give a glimpse of the little gifts the story has waiting for us, today I will start a little differently today. I would to say that this is Kim Swayer's greatest book I have read so far, sure to bring a tear or two to anyone's eye. When I first came to Christ I wondered why the story of Dinah (See Genesis chapter 34) was put in there, it was such a sad tale, and we never knew what happened to her after such a horrifying experience. Did she find love? Did she get over what happened to her? Only God has those answers, but I feel that this story can give comfort to those who've ever wondered about Dinah.

"Now Dinah the daughter of Leah, whom she had borne to Jacob, went out to see the daughters of the land. And when Shechem the son of Hamor the Hivite, prince of the country, saw her, he took her and lay with her, and violated her." Genisis 34:1-2 NKJV

Dinah (Not the biblical Dinah) was born and raised in a saloon, being such a child brings with it many troubles, and as she neared womanhood it became harder to keep the men who visited the saloon away from her. The owner told Dinah that her mother was fatally ill, though she wasn't suppose to, to get Dinah to sell her purity. Dinah didn't know what she was meeting the man for, but fifty dollars was enough to care for her mother and to get out of the saloon, when Dinah finally understood she wanted to leave but the man would not have it, leaving deep emotional scars on Dinah's souls. Things like this happens right under our noses most times and I wish there was something I could do to change it, and there is something we can all do, pray for them. We all have scars from the past, though not as horrific as Dinah's they can still leave us scared, bitter, and distrustful of the world around us.

"Dear brothers and sisters, you are foreigners and aliens here. So I warn you to keep away from evil desires because they fight against your very souls." 1 peter 2:11

There was one character in this book I could relate to very well, Ruthie. She is the eldest daughter of the town's pastor, and I think like a lot of us do she struggled with her own feelings, most of all jealousy. She tried to become friend with Dinah when she became a chambermaid and her roommate, but Dinah's aloof nature made it hard to do so. When Amos, a man Ruthie was smitten with, showed feelings for Dinah instead of her it became a war inside her soul. She battled with the unwelcome feelings she knew she had no right to bare. But the devil is a crafty fellow. I find it easy to connect with this character the most and I was glad to see such a character in Kim Swayer's book. I hope she makes more characters like her in future books.

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

The book ended well, like many of her others, though a little slow at some points, I will say that it was well worth it. I look forward to another novel by this great author!
I received this book from blogging for book for a honest review, which I have given

Read Chapter 1


No comments:

Post a Comment