Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A Review for Fair Play by Deeanne Gist

It's time for another review folks. But i'm afraid to say it won't be as jolly as my other reviews.





When I read fair play I was prepared for a good christian book, but i was kinda disappointed with this book. The story line as a whole was good, don't get me wrong about that, the author made a good wholesome story with humor and wit, what I didn't like so much was that there seemed to be little to do about God, even though this is a christian fiction book.

The story reminds me a little of Doctor Quinn, medicine woman (If you haven't watched the TV show then you are missing out on the greatest show in TV history, at least that's my opinion). Billy (our female lead) Is a woman doctor trying to work her way in a man's profession, and with so many not even giving her a chance it's hard to do her job. But she asked to work at the women's building at the world fair, and makes more then she ever could. And she also meets a rugged and sweet cowboy from Texas. Their first meeting was awkward, their second time even more so, but I won't spoil that for y'all.

As their relationship grew so did their troubles. Now a lot of these troubles are of an extreme personal and mature nature, and while it is a shame that these things have happened and continue to do so I believe the author could have backed off it a bit. It made me think too much of the teen fiction novels you find on the bookshelves nowadays, and again this is suppose to be christian fiction, she didn't go into any detail but the most people can put two and two together, and there is too much of it. I think the envelope was pushed a little too much for me.

All in all I would give this book three out of five stars, the story line was great, the writing even better, but I was put off by the mature subjects popping up all over the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment